Agriculture Economics and Marketing
Paddy Purchasing Mechanism
What is the Paddy Purchasing Procedure? Paddy purchasing programme of the government has been launched by Sri Lanka Agriculture products Marketing Authority (SLAPMA) from 1st week of March 2007. The programme can be summarized as follows.
- This programme coordinates paddy farmers, authorized agents, regional stores under SLAPMA and banks.
- Paddy stocks from the farmers are purchased fix rate per kilo for 'Samba' and other paddy varieties
- Paddy stocks, which fulfill the standards required, are only being purchased under this programme.
- According to the basis of 1000 kg paddy per acre, maximum of 2500kg will be purchased from each farmer. However the maximum amount purchasing of paddy per farmer could be decided by the district agriculture committee and per purchasing zone according to the area specific for excess yield, marketing problems, disasters and also the funds allocated and infrastructures facilities.
- Authorized agents are appointed in different provincial zones.
- Farmer organizations, farmer companies, co-operative societies, private paddy millers, paddy stock collectors and those who have interest or ability to purchase paddy can be authorized agents.
- Payments will be made to the farmers from the nearest branch of the Bank of Ceylon after submitting the paddy stocks to SLAPMA warehouses by Authorized agents.
- An allowance for Transport and a commission will be paid to the authorized agents for proceeding paddy stocks from the farmers to the SLAPMA warehouses.
- In addition to the paddy stocks collecting from farmers and proceeding to SLAPMA warehouses, purchasing paddy stocked are expected from all authorized agents and storing additional of for promoting farmer entrepreneurship purchasing as per a national service to the farmer community.
- Implementation of the paddy purchasing programmes and will be reviewed at the District Agriculture Committees and Divisional Agriculture Committees.